|CARLOS MOTTA, 2005-2007|
What exactly is the School of the Americas?
In 1946, The School of the Americas was established in Panamá as the Latin American Training Center - Ground Division. It was renamed the US Army School of the Americas in 1963. The SOA relocated to Fort Benning, GA in 1984 following the signing of the Panamá Canal Treaty.
Run by the U.S. military, the school trained Latin American soldiers employed during multiple conflicts throughout the region, including in Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, and Perú.
The School closed temporarily in 2000 in the wake of numerous accusations of human rights violations. In 2001 the school re-opened as "The Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation." Since then, the school has continued to instruct Latin American military in counterinsurgency techniques and warfare tactics.
The School of The Americas
Hemisphere Institute for security Cooperation
Roots Activist Anti-SOA Organization
Grows Over US Torture School
Dirty Secret: It Works
|Memory of a Protest|
|SOA:Black and White Tales|
|SOA:Black and White Pain-tings # 2|
|SOA:Black and White Pain-tings # 1|
|About the SOA and Links|